The City of Findlay is located in northwestern Ohio along Interstate 75, about 47 miles south of Toledo and 108 miles north of Dayton. Findlay is 137 miles west of Akron on U.S. Route 224.
Findlay, Ohio was officially declared “Flag City, U.S.A.” on May 7, 1974, by House Joint Resolution #1003, introduced by Congressman Tennyson Guyer.
Findlay derived its name from Colonel James Findlay, Commander of the second regiment in the War of 1812. It was first laid out in the year 1821 by Joseph Vance and Elnathan Cory. Wilson Vance gave the town of Findlay its name. The early spelling of Findley was used until 1870 when the modern spelling (Findlay) was used.