Education   Community   Health   Recreation   Industry   Government   Economic Development   Contact Us 
City Departments
Elected Officials/Council
Lydia's Letters
Community Calendar
Maple Grove Cemetery

Q. How can I sign up for paperless bills?
 Sign up through Smartbill Online to receive an e-mail notification that your bill is ready to be viewed.

Q. How do I start water & sewer service?
A. To start water and sewer service at an existing property, you need to complete a “Contract for Water and Sewer Services.” This is usually done in person at the Water Office at
136 N Blanchard St., Findlay. You will need your Driver’s License or other Photo ID. If you are renting, lease purchasing or buying on land contract, we will need additional approval from the land owner.  A deposit will be required.

Q. How much is the deposit?
The deposit amount is located in the current rate charts.  There is a deposit for both water and sewer service.  If you have both services, you will be charged both deposits.  Deposits for owner billed properties may be waived with a satisfactory record of payment history from a prior or current account with the Findlay Water Department or a satisfactory letter of credit from a current account with another Water Department. Deposits are required for tenants to obtain water service at rental properties.

Q. When is my deposit refunded?
Deposits on owner billed properties will be refunded after 2 years of on time payments.  Deposits on non-owner billed properties will be applied to the final bill.  Any excess money will be refunded after the final bill is deducted.

Q. How do I end water and sewer service?
 To end your water and sewer service, you will need to call the Water Office at 419-424-7190 during office hours. This request will result in the water meter being turned off and sometimes removed from the property. You cannot transfer the water bill into a new name.

Q.  Can I pay my water bill by credit card?
. VISA/MasterCard payments are now an option for a nominal fee.  Call 1-800-2PAYTAX (1-800-272-9829) Jurisdiction Code 4553 - or go online through $300.00 maximum per transaction.  We also offer Electronic Fund Transfer through our AUTOPAY program, or you may pay by cash, check or money order.

Q.  When is my water bill due?
  Bi-Monthly residential bills for properties located NORTH of the
Blanchard River and West of CR 236 are due on the twelfth of the EVEN months. Bi-Monthly residential bills for properties located SOUTH of the Blanchard River and East of CR 236 are due on the twelfth of the ODD months.

Q. When is the Water Office open?
The Water Office is open from
8:00 A.M. to 4:45 P.M. Monday through Friday.

Q. Where is the Water Office located?
The Water Office is located at
136 N Blanchard St., Findlay, Ohio.

Q. What are my payment options?
The following bill paying options are offered by the City of Findlay
1.  Mail your payment to: City of Findlay Water Dept.,
136 N Blanchard St., Findlay, OH 45840
2.  Pay in person at the front counter, 136 N Blanchard St., Findlay, 8:00 A.M. to 4:45 P.M. Monday– Friday
3.  24 Hour Drop Boxes available at 136 N Blanchard St., and Municipal Building Parking Lot on W Crawford St

4.  AUTOPAY – electronic fund transfer

5.  Credit card payment through a third party company

Q. Although I have signed up for AUTOPAY, I still receive a bill. Why is that?
The bill you receive is your record of the information used to calculate your charges, (reading dates, meter readings, usage and charges). It also lets you know the total amount that we will be drafting from your bank account and the due date - which is the day we will request the draft. As an Autopay customer, your bill will include a message as follows: AUTOPAY – DON’T PAY THIS.

Q. I can’t pay my entire bill by the due date, will you accept a partial payment?
Yes, we will credit any amount you pay. Bi-monthly customers may make partial payments through out the month your bill is due. If the bill is not paid in full by the end of the month, you will receive a delinquent notice within a week of the next month.  Monthly customers will receive a delinquent notice about five days after the due date.

Q. What happens if I receive a delinquent notice?
The delinquent notice will have a “last date to pay” on it. If we do not receive payment by that date, you will be subject to disconnect. If you get disconnected, you will have to pay the account in full and pay all reconnect fees to restore water service

Q. My water bill is high, what does that mean?
Your water bill is based on your consumption and meter size. If your bill is higher than past bills, check your consumption in the “Consumption for the Past 12 Periods” area. The consumption corresponds to the reading dates. If your consumption increases, your water bill will be higher.  Since sewer charges are based on water consumption, sewer charges increase along with water charges.

Q. What causes my consumption to increase?
Many customers have seasonal water usage patterns, and use more water during summer months than in winter months. This can be due to swimming pools, watering gardens, and also irrigating lawns. There is no problem with this type of consumption fluctuation. If your usage increases, and you do not know of a reason, this may be indicating a leak in your house or on your line. Keep in mind that having extra house guests or a toddler that becomes toilet trained may increase your usage.

Q. Is my water meter read every month?
Your water meter is scheduled to be read for each billing.  If you are a bi-monthly residential customer, you water meter is read every other month.  If for some reason the meter cannot be read, such as snow and ice over the meter pit, your bill will be estimated based on previous usage history.

Q. What kind of leaks will affect my bill?
All leaks will affect your bill. A faucet with even a slow drip can waste almost 3 gallons of water a day. Toilet leaks are the hardest to visualize as the water is lost directly to the sewer and can increase your bill substantially.

Q. How do I know if my toilet is leaking?
Sometimes you can hear the toilet running. There are also leaks that are considered silent toilet leaks. Here are two visual tests that you can do to help you check your toilet for a leak.
1.  Dye Test – Flush the toilet and wait 5 minutes for it to refill. Remove the back of the toilet tank cover and put several drops of food coloring to color the tank water. Do not flush the toilet at this point. Check the toilet bowl every 10 minutes for the next 45 minutes. If any colored water gets into the toilet bowl, then you have a leak in the toilet. Flush the remaining colored water through. You need to fix the toilet.
2.  Stand tube test – Flush the toilet and wait 5 minutes for it to refill. Remove the back of the toilet tank cover. Sprinkle some powder on the top of the water. If the water level is too high, you will see the powder on top of the water drain down into the stand tube. This is a silent type leak in your toilet. You will need to adjust the water level to ½ inch below the stand tube.

Q. Is there any adjustment for a leak?
The only adjustment for a leak is an underground leak on the water line from the meter into the house. After you replace your line, call the office for the adjustment.

City of Findlay, Municipal Building, 318 Dorney Plaza, Findlay OH 45840

Best to view this website using Internet Explorer

Created by Aardvark Inc.